Making a simple solution that works is often a great learning opportunity.
However, if you have a problem, there's likely others who have the same
problem and have already solved it.  If you use the existing solutions,
patterns and standards, then you are able to hand your project to someone
else to work on when you tire of it.  If you have some hacked together
solution, it's not likely to outlast your tenure and your institution will
have to replace it with a system that your successor is willing to maintain.

-Justin