Hi Code4Lib folks,

I was having a discussion with some folks at another library about their
repository system and I thought a few things were interesting enough I
wanted to see what others had to say.  A lot of the discussion revolved
around the fact that most Universities seem to either have everything in
one big repository system or they have a few repositories based on content
type (i.e. journal articles/thesis, data sets, archival materials).  There
are obviously pros and cons for each, but it did bring up an interesting
question of how you provide good discovery for all your materials?
Particularly when they are very different and have metadata aspects that
are unique to certain ones but not others that are helpful to search, such
as location data in images or publisher information in articles.

Similarly, if an institution has multiple repositories for their varied
content, how can you provide good discovery and show relationships between
the items that are being stored in the different systems?  Are there
specific software or metadata solutions for this?  Just a few things I
thought were interesting enough concerns I would see what others thought
about them.

Matt Sherman