Hello,

A colleague of mine is surveying the group and individual study spaces in
our libraries. The purpose is to collect information about the spaces such
as whether the rooms have whiteboards, whether they need to be repainted,
whether the carpet needs to be replaced, type of technology in the room, is
it reservable, etc. etc. So: inventory of rooms, room properties & items,
along with actions tied to rooms (upgrade, repair, replace, etc.). Up until
now, our library hasn't had a system in place for collecting and storing
this level information.

After meeting with her, the quick & sufficient option I'm looking at doing
is designing a simple database with a few tables and controlled vocabulary
and data entry forms that will make data collection more efficient and
future queries easier.

However, it occurs to me that someone on this list may be aware of an
application that has already been developed and serves almost the same
purpose.  I've done some googling, but haven't found anything yet. The
closest I've come is the Learning Space Toolkit from NCSU, but there
doesn't appear to be a study space inventory data collection tool.

If anyone is aware of a turnkey solution or something close, I'd really
appreciate it! Our library IT department is excellent, so if it requires
spinning up a server for Drupal or python/Django/postgres or similar, that
is within our capabilities. I can't get too complicated, though, because
there's some time pressure to start collecting data.

Thank you!

Steve Koch
University Libraries, University of New Mexico