On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Jason Bengtson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Generally speaking, I think  surveillance is wretched stuff. But there is a
> point at which the hand wringing becomes a bit much. I agree with Jon in
> that, while things are at a critical point, the technologies of security
> and anonymity will inevitable improve. In fact, the cruddy state of things
> has been adding momentum to that progress...

And there are always the tried and tested technologies that have been
around for ages. For example, if users wore paper bags over their heads, it
would protect their anonymity and afford some privacy while they used
resources in the library -- particularly when they need assistance.
 Anonymous checkout privileges secured with a bitcoin deposit could ensure
accountability.

As things stand, many if not most library staff know all kinds of things
about their users. The paper bag solution (actually another material should
be chosen to make it safer for smokers) is a major step towards rectifying
this privacy and service issue. ;-)