Mark,

Shibboleth (for authentication, including multifactor)  + Grouper (for
centralized user, role, and permission management) might be a good fit.
  They have the added bonus of integrating nicely with InCommon.

http://www.internet2.edu/products-services/trust-identity-middleware/shibboleth/

http://www.internet2.edu/products-services/trust-identity-middleware/grouper/

-- Scott

--