As with most libraries, we're accumulating an increasing number of
digital holdings.  So far, our approach to storing these files consists
of a haphazard cocktail of:

- A ContentDM site whose contents haven't been updated in three years
- live network storage in the form of shared drives
- a Drobo
- CDs and DVDs
- hard drives stored in static-proof bags, and
- ancient floppy disks whose contents remain a mystery that would surely
scour the last vestiges of sanity from our minds if we had a 5 1/4"
drive to read them with.

In short it's a mess that has evolved organically over a long period of
time.  I'm not entirely sure what to do about it, especially considering
our budget for improving the situation is ... uh, zero.

At the very least, I'd like a better sense for what is considered a good
approach to storing archival files.  Can anyone recommend any relevant
best practices or standards documents?  Or just share what you use.

I'm familiar with the OAIS model for digital archiving, and it seems
well thought-out, but highly abstract.  A more practical nuts-and-bolts
guide would be helpful.

Thanks.

Will Martin

Web Services Librarian