About 1/3 of the 1M ebooks on OpenLibrary.org have full MARC records,
and you can retrieve the record via the API. There is also a "secret"
record format that returns not the full MARC for the hard copy (which is
what the records represent because these are digitized books) but a
record that has been modified to represent the ebook.

The MARC records for the hard copy follow the pattern:

https://archive.org/download/[archive identifier]/[archive
identifier]_marc.[xml|mrc]

Download MARC XML
https://archive.org/download/myantonia00cathrich/myantonia00cathrich_marc.xml

Download MARC binary
https://www.archive.org/download/myantonia00cathrich/myantonia00cathrich_meta.mrc
<https://archive.org/download/myantonia00cathrich/myantonia00cathrich_meta.mrc>

To get the one that represents the ebook, do:

https://archive.org/download/[archive identifier]/[archive
identifier]_archive_marc.xml

https://archive.org/download/myantonia00cathrich/myantonia00cathrich_archive_marc.xml

This one has an 007, the 245 $h, and a few other things.

Tom Morris did some code that helps you search for books by author and
title and retrieve a MARC record. I don't recall where his github
archive is, but I'll find out and post it here. The code is open source.
We used it for a project that added ebook records to a public library
catalog.

You can also use the OPenLibrary API to select all open access ebooks.
What I'd like to see is a way to create a list or bibliography in OL
that then is imported into a program that will find MARC records for
those books. The list function is still under development, though.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net