On 8/19/14, 2:30 PM, Stuart Yeates wrote:
>> Authors in OL have already been linked to Wikipedia, and Wikipedia has
>> been linked to VIAF, and the OCLC number, when present, has been taken
>> from the MARC record. Therefore the OL record in some cases already has
>> these connections.
> It's not just about authors. It's also about the work (+manifestation, +... ), the subject (particularly when the subject is separate work), the publisher, the illustrator, etc, etc.

Stuart, yes, of course. But there are few entities that we have that are
clearly encoded beyond authors. We have never developed identifiers for
works or manifestations (although hopefully we will); subjects, at least
in terms of LCSH, are a mess because we don't have a viable list of
post-coordinated subject terms. I'm not quite sure what you are getting
at, but I would suggest that "low hanging fruit" is not a bad place to
begin. Nor that we should reject some links because we can't achieve all.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net