On 2014-08-04 16:07, Carol Bean wrote:
> Thanks, Scott.  I appreciate the details.  I hadn't thought of
> investigating firmware hacks.  I have heard Cisco routers are being
> used to manage bandwidth, and are, as expected, a pricey "solution".

If you are willing to get your hands dirty. One does not need to ever
deal with Cisco unless you have deep pockets as you correctly point out.
Depending on how much of your network you control you should consider
using OpenBSD's PF. Yes I am a well known shill for this OS so grab ya
grain of salt. ;-) That said this is a tale of savings and performance.
Sometimes you can have both.

http://www.skeptech.org/blog/2013/01/13/unscrewed-a-story-about-openbsd/

As always YMMV but I actually enjoy this sort of thing so if you need
someone who has done this *granted a good while back* I'm your
Huckleberry. ;-)

./fxk