Apologies for cross posting

Dear collective wisdom,

I'm interested in using automation software such as Macro Express or iMacros to feed a list of ISBNs from a spreadsheet into Copac or Worldcat and output a list of those that return no matches in the results screen. The idea would be to create a tool that can quickly, although rather roughly, identify rare items in a collection (though obviously this would be limited to items with ISBNs or other unique identifiers). I can write a macro which will sequentially search either catalogue for a list of ISBNs but am struggling with how to have the macro identify items with no matches (I have a vague idea about searching the results screen for the text "Sorry, there are no search results") and to compile them back into a spreadsheet.

I'd be keen to hear if anyone has attempted something similar, general advice, any potential pitfalls in the method outlined above or suggestions for a better way to achieve the same results. If something useful comes of it I'd be happy to share the results.

Many thanks for your help,
Nick

Nicholas Brown
Library and Information Manager