Like most things, if you want to do this, you probably can do it yourself
http://web.opalsoft.net/qos/default.php ; and then Cisco, who also happen
to make really big switches, get additional points for abstracting away
some low-level decisions.

Traffic-shaping is a lively commercial industry at this time, not least
because it dovetails with deep-packet inspection in certain use cases
like, how do I retain my hold on power in Egypt or Tunisia. I don’t mean
to be a bummer though.

--
Al Matthews

Software Developer, Digital Services Unit
Atlanta University Center, Robert W. Woodruff Library
email: [log in to unmask]; office: 1 404 978 2057

On 8/4/14, 4:07 PM, "Carol Bean" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thanks, Scott.  I appreciate the details.  I hadn't thought of
>investigating firmware hacks.  I have heard Cisco routers are being used
>to manage bandwidth, and are, as expected, a pricey "solution".
>
>Carol
>

>On Aug 4, 2014, at 7:34 PM, Scott Fisher wrote:
>
>> I don¹t know about libraries, but there are some technical solutions to
>> problems like these.
>>
>> One approach to reducing bandwidth may be bandwidth throttling in the
>> router settings for the router the library uses.  This limits the
>> download/upload rates for a client or clients and may limit high
>> resolution video viewing because the connection then could be set to
>> throttle at a speed too slow to view some or all high-resolution
>>streaming
>> versions of videos in real time. This may also make it so that one user
>> isn¹t hogging and saturating the internet connection and slowing the
>> network for all other users.  I've seen this kind of throttling in
>>hotels
>> that supply a free low speed connection that is good enough for checking
>> email and browsing the web, but not fast enough for streaming video
>>(they
>> then may allow it if you pay an extra fee).
>>
>> There may also be ways to set daily bandwidth quotas for each client in
>> the router settings for some routers.
>>
>> Many consumer routers do not have these settings, but more expensive
>> professional-level routers or alternative firmwares for consumer routers
>> might have the settings.  For example, DD-WRT or Tomato are custom
>> firmwares for some routers that may allow you to configure settings like
>> this if someone has released something for your specific brand/model of
>> router.  For example a Tomato firmware by shibby has settings like this
>> http://tomato.groov.pl/wp-content/gallery/screenshots/bwlimiter.png .
>>
>> I don¹t know if that helps or is what you¹re looking for.
>>

>> On 8/4/14, 7:20 AM, "Carol Bean" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> A quick and dirty search of the list archives turned up this topic
>>>from 5
>>> years ago.  I am wondering what libraries (especially those with
>>>limited
>>> resources) are doing today to control or moderate bandwidth, e.g.,
>>>where
>>> viewing video sites uses up excessive amounts of bandwidth?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>> Carol
>>>
>>> Carol Bean

They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system
manager or  the
sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or
make copies.

** IronMail scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious
content. **