Some years ago I did a few privacy audits for local public libraries,
where they went through all of their data-gathering points (circulation,
summer reading programs, vendors, patron letters to the library
director...) [1] It was very useful for them to discover where data
might "leak". At the time, none of the libraries I was working with was
terribly involved with social networking.

I think it would be good to provide libraries with more information
about what data is gathered via social networks, along with an analysis
of where they are putting their patrons' privacy at risk. My guess is
that many librarians are unaware of the data gathering done behind
something like Google Analytics -- they just see a service that they
need. And there's no use us complaining about it if we can't give good,
solid information about 1) what data is gathered 2) what is the
alternative.

I think a "Code4lib guide to library privacy" or something of that
nature would be a valuable contribution. I'd be happy to work with folks
on it.

kc
[1] http://kcoyle.net/privacy_audit.html