From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jarrell, Mark
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] Is Anyone Doing RFID Book Location or Stack Mapping?

Are there any libraries out there that are making use of RFID hardware/software to help patrons know the precise location of books/items on the shelves? Or is anyone use other stack mapping software to help patrons know the general location of items on the shelf? If so, I have a few questions for you. Please feel free to message me directly and I can compile the results into an anonymous set to share with the group.

  1.  Name of software & vendor
  2.  Approximate time to implement
  3.  Approximate cost to implement
  4.  What types of hardware/software is involved in the process that wasn't used previously?
  5.  How does the customer locate the item on the shelf (e.g. Via handheld tool, map linked to catalog record, etc.)
  6.  Is there a way for the patron to find out the location of items that are shelved in non-public areas (if a library branch is undergoing renovations)?
  7.  Would you recommend this software/hardware method to other libraries? Why or why not?

[cid:B062E8AC-43B8-4564-9851-3B3E64D2EDF1]
Mark W. Jarrell
Online Applications Developer | Richland Library
1431 Assembly St.  | Columbia, SC 29201
(p) 803.553.9818 | (GTalk, Skype) mark.jarrell Access Freely at RichlandLibrary.com<http://www.richlandlibrary.com/>.
Interested in helping to shape RichlandLibrary.com? Join an advisory group<http://www.richlandlibrary.com/website-advisory-groups>.

Watch Freely: