From: Tom Connolly<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: ý8/ý8/ý2014 8:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Dewey code

Forgive my ignorance. When I looked up ILS I came to this paragraph that
explains why:

"Larger libraries use an ILS to order and acquire, receive and invoice,
catalog, circulate, track and shelve materials. Smaller libraries, such
as those in private homes ornon-profit organizations
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-profit>(like churches or synagogues,
for instance), often forgo the expense and maintenance required to run
an ILS, and instead use alibrary computer system
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_computer_system>.^[/citation
needed <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>/] "
source: Wikipedia

We are a church with 1500 books we would like to put on our website, and
thought we would use this workflow:

     1.  Create barcode from isbn number and print label.
     2.  Acquire Dewey number from Library of Congress via z39.50, and
print that to a label.
     3.  Affix labels to the books.
     4.  Place marc records into a Postgresql database and allow users
to search via a browser, using Ruby on Rails for the front and back ends.

     At the moment I'm trying to figure out step 2. I'm the church
volunteer webmaster and not a coder, working with two other volunteers
who happen to be career professional librarians but not programmers.  If
the Dewey numbers generated by the LC are insufficient, we'll tweak them
over time. I just need to know how to isolate that one field to print it
to our thermal label printer.
Thank  you.