My first thought was a project-based contract, too. But there are few
programmer projects that would require zero maintenance once finished. As
someone who has had to pick up projects "completed" by others, there are
always bugs, gaps in documentation, and difficult upgrade paths.

So I have no solutions to offer. Enticing people with telework is a good
idea. It's disappointing to see libraries (and higher ed more generally)
continuing to not invest in software development. We need developers. If we
cannot find the money for them, perhaps we should re-evaluate our
(budgetary?) priorities.

Best,
Eric