***Please excuse the cross-posting***

RDF Application Profiles and Tools for Metadata Validation and Quality Control
Half-day Special Session @ DC-2014
Thursday, 9 October 2014 - 1:30-5:00

LOCATION: Austin, Texas, USA
VENUE: AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center (http://www.meetattexas.com/)
SESSION HOMEPAGE: http://dcevents.dublincore.org/IntConf/index/pages/view/rdfAP
CONFERENCE WEBSITE: http://purl.org/dcevents/dc-2014
REGISTRATION: http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/index/pages/view/registration-2014 (Thursday day-rate option available)

Session Abstract:

This session will focus on establishing requirements for implementing Application Profiles from the perspective of software developers. In particular, our interests include the requirements necessary for performing validation and quality checks within tools, and the extent to which established and developing constraint languages remain valuable in our context.

Scope and Motivation:

Over the last fourteen years, the DCMI community has focused much of its efforts on the development of Application Profiles as a means to enable reuse of properties across multiple schemas, as well as constraint languages to express those profiles. Building on the DC-2013 special session Application Profiles as an Alternative to OWL Ontologies, this session will explore the requirements for defining and implementing Application Profiles from the perspective of software developers and other implementers. In particular, our session will focus on the requirements necessary for performing validation and quality checks within tools, and the extent to which established and developing constraint languages, such as Description Set Profiles and Shape Expressions/RDF Data Shapes, remain valuable in our context.

Confirmed Panelists:
Open Questions Guiding the Session:
  1. How can Application Profile-based validation provide meaningful feedback to a user editing a "record" or set of statements?
  2. From the perspective of an implementor, what do we mean by "validation," and does this mean different things from the perspective of implementers building user-facing tools or automated systems to perform these checks?
  3. How are existing constraint languages valuable to implementers, particularly if the tools we are building cannot interpret or act on them natively?
  4. Should we prioritize developing tools that can interpret serialized constraint definitions, or ensuring that our tools and systems can serialize their constraints into one of these languages?
Special Session Sponsors:
You can register using the day-rate option to DC-2014 or join us for the full DC-2014 program at http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/index/pages/view/registration-2014.

Don't procrastinate, register now! The Conference discount hotel block rate at the AT&T Center ends 12 September. This Special Session and DC-2014 Conference cap the second week of the Austin City Limits Music Festival (http://www.aclfestival.com/) and hotel rooms will become increasingly scarce as the Conference dates approaches.

Mark Matienzo
   Director of Technology, DPLA

To unsubscribe from the DLF-ANNOUNCE list, click the following link:
http://lists.clir.org/scripts/wa-CLIR.exe?SUBED1=DLF-ANNOUNCE&A=1