Thanks, Abbie, for passing this on. Quoting from the "Key Conclusions" section of the Cornell report:

> The data we have gathered further strengthened our opinion that identifying the most significant properties of individual media artworks will require direct input from artists. This confirms our belief that we need to push the integration of archival protocols as far upstream as possible, to the point of content creation and initial curation. We plan to adapt pre-existing conservation-oriented questionnaires to our emerging data model and our growing sense of media art “classes” with distinct preservation and access needs.

FYI, the Variable Media Questionnaire is a free Web service that surveys opinions about the possible future states of a work from those involved in its creation and reception. In recent years, VMQ lead John Bell has added a feature called Packages that makes it easier to identify and document common "classes" of works.

http://variablemediaquestionnaire.net

Importantly, however, any such classification system should make it easy to deviate from the class--a point often emphasized by Re-collection co-author and Cornell project advisor Richard Rinehart.

If anyone knows of similar questionnaires in the wild, I'd love to know about them.

jon

______________________________
Jon Ippolito
Professor of New Media
Co-director, Still Water
Director, Digital Curation graduate program
The University of Maine
406 Chadbourne
Orono, ME  04469-5713
http://still-water.net