Subject: Re: [NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE] Good Migrations: Rough Draft for
input and discussion
From: Shawn Rounds <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, August 04, 2014 7:36 am
To: [log in to unmask]

Trevor, thanks for sending out this draft.  I won't be on the call, so I
wanted to send along my one comment re the list for consideration by the
group --

I would like to see something about documentation of the migration
process itself.  With government records, authenticity and audit trails
go hand/hand, so any activity like this that touches the files should be
documented with at least a basic set of metadata (e.g., when, who, what,
etc.).  Also, under items #1, 2, & 3 after migration, any file/metadata
migration failures/changes/restores should be documented as well.
Copies of this documentation could be stored with the files themselves.

I'm looking forward to seeing this checklist move forward --
Shawn

 Shawn Rounds
 State Archivist
State Archives Department