We've been tinkering with our LibGuides template in preparation for an
eventual redesign of our site and guides, e.g.:

    http://libguides.bc.edu/libraries/babst/staff

Some of our guide authors weren't happy with the LibGuides
side-navigation's single-column limitation, so we made our own template,
moved {{guide_nav}} off to a left column, and wrote our own styles to make
the default top-nav display as left-nav. We've found that a 50/50 or 75/25
split next to the left nav looks pretty good.

Unfortunately we have authors who want *three* columns plus left-nav...

In general the LibGuides templating has felt modern and easy to work with.

Ben