I asked a friend about local-to-PDX technology people who might be great
speakers. He recommended two people: Selena Deckelman and Deborah
Bryant. Both live in Portland. I'll add these to the wiki later today.

Selena Deckelmann is a major contributor to PostgreSQL and a data
architect at Mozilla. She's one of The Ada Initiative advisors.She's a
very experienced speaker
(http://www.whitecells.org/daily/speaking/index/) and looks like an
interesting speaker (Ignite Portland talk on election rigging in
Nigeria) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7qm6yglfE
It looks like she's on an email sabbatical
(http://www.chesnok.com/daily/2014/05/26/personal-email-sabbatical-july-10-october-15-2014/)
but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to get in touch with her.
According to the internet, she also raises chickens.

Deborah Bryant's is currently Red Hat's Senior Director Open Source and
Standards. Her experience is broad and deep:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/opengovernment Her bio is impressive:
http://debbryant.com Her work with open source adoption in government
would make her qualified to give us advice on how to push things within
the institutions that we work in.

For me, the most successful keynotes are people from outside the library
community who are unexpected, thoughtful, inspiring and skilled
presenters. In the past I've programmed Jer Thorpe (who at that time was
the Data Artist in Residence at the NYT), Andrea Reimer (a local
politician who was behind the open data push at the City of Vancouver),
Zak Greant (open source technologist) and Marian Bantjes (designer and
creative typographer). I've also helped organize conferences where we
invited authors to keynote: Arundathi Roy, Ivan Coyote and John
Valliant. While I've been resistant to book authors because I balk at
"libraries are about books! librarians love books!" these were very
successful because someone from the organizing team briefed each author
that we wanted them to talk about their ideas and not to give us a "I
remember when i was a kid and loved going to the library" feel good,
surface deep, nostalgia-laced talk. We asked all of these people to talk
about what they know, and to assume that we'll make the links to
libraries or figure out what we can learn from the expertise that they
share.

Here's two more half-baked Portland ideas:

Someone from Bitch Media who run Bitch Magazine: Feminist Response to
Pop Culture that started in 1996. Their content has always been
thoughtful and thought provoking. With #libs4ada raising over $16k,
there's an obvious interest in making our community more inclusive. If
we wanted to develop a more complex and nuanced understanding of
feminisms, someone from Bitch Media might be a good fit:
http://bitchmagazine.org/staff

Someone from the Rebuilding Centre, a non-profit that sells recycled
doors, windows, and other building supplies. Their main building is
beautiful and wacky looking: http://bit.ly/1uM4g5M If there's someone
there who is a dynamic speaker it might be interesting to hear their
thoughts on reuse and building new models for doing stuff.

I don't know anyone at either of these organizations--does anyone here?

Tara