So, I think what you're talking about mostly entails basic "Writing for
the Web".  I think collaborating on "guidelines" is more helpful than
"standards"... and no need to get all official -- just do it on Github
or something and see if it's helpful.

A List Apart has a pretty concise, but helpful style guide for
authors/content creators:

http://alistapart.com/about/style-guide

They also have published a helpful article on creating visual style
guides and pattern libraries (to avoid those hot pink text on green
backgrounds), although those would probably be more organization-centric:

http://alistapart.com/article/creating-style-guides
http://alistapart.com/blog/post/getting-started-with-pattern-libraries

-Shaun

On 9/30/14 10:22 AM, Brad Coffield wrote:
> I agree that it would be a bad idea to endeavor to create our own special
> standards that deviate from accepted web best practices and standards. My
> own thought was more towards a guide for librarians, curated by librarians,
> that provides a summary of best practices. On the one hand, something to
> help those without a deep tech background to quickly get up to speed with
> best practices instead of needing to conduct a lot of research and reading.
> But beyond that, it would also be a resource that went deeper for those who
> wanted to explore the literature.
>
> So, bullet points and short lists of information accompanied by links to
> additional resources etc. (So, right now, it sounds like a libguide lol)
>
> Though I do think there would potentially be additional information that
> did apply mostly/only to libraries and our particular sites etc. Off the
> top of my head: a thorough treatment and recommendations regarding
> libguides v2 and accessibility, customizing common library-used products
> (like Serial Solutions 360 link, Worldcat Local and all their competitors)
> so that they are most usable and accessible.
>
> At it's core, though, what I'm picturing is something where librarians get
> together and cut through the noise, pull out best web practices, and
> display them in a quickly digested format. Everything else would be the
> proverbial gravy.
>
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Michael Schofield <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> I am interested but I am a little hazy about what kind of standards you
>> all are suggesting. I would warn against creating standards that conflict
>> with any actual web standards, because I--and, I think, many others--would
>> honestly recommend that the #libweb should aspire to and adhere more firmly
>> to larger web standards and best practices that conflict with something
>> that's more, ah, librarylike. Although that might not be what you folks
>> have in mind at all : ).
>>
>> Michael S.

Shaun Ellis
User Interface Developer, Digital Initiatives
Princeton University Library
609.258.1698

“Any darn fool can get complicated. It takes genius to attain
simplicity.” -Pete Seeger