This is not in the stacks - it's in the shelves in the cataloging office. WiFi's fine there.

Now what I didn't mention to you all is that I could just suggest that we shelve our cataloging queue with LC copy separated from non-DLC, but then how would I learn a new trick?  (And I'd have to ask the acq librarian to do the sorting.)
- Cindy

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Walls
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] IFTTT and barcodes

I don't think IFTTT is the right tool, but the basic idea is sound.

With a spot of custom scripting on some server somewhere, one could take in an ISBN, lookup via the III WebPac, assess eligibility conditions, then return yes or no.  Barcode Scanner on Android has the ability to do custom search URLs, so if your yes/no script can accept URL params, then you should be all set.

Barring a script, just a lookup of the MARC record may be possible, and if it was styled in a mobile-friendly manner, perhaps you could quickly glean whether it's okay or not for copy cataloging.

Side question: is there connectivity in the stacks for doing this kind of lookup?  I know in my library, that's not always the case.

-Ian