Hi Brad,

When first starting working, our library web server was on a shared Windows IIS server with several other departments, which prevented us from using a CMS due to security concerns. The initial site was a static set of pages, so we couldn't install PHP, MySQL, etc.

Through the encouragement of our then Chief Librarian, I wrote a proposal to our provost so the library could have our own LAMP server so we could install Drupal. The proposal was approved, but the tradeoff was that it was the library's responsibility (me) to administer the web server. IT hosted the server in their server room, but we had to maintain security, OS/site upgrades, and backups. That's not to say that our IT department wasn't helpful, they were more hands off.

We've had our own server for the last 5-6 years, but it's now on its last legs. We've installed open-source CMSs such as Drupal, WordPress, and MediaWiki so we've certainly outgrown our current server. We also need to desperately upgrade our Drupal install, so we can rollout our responsive redesign.

We're migrating (hopefully this week) to the cloud to an Amazon instance with a LAMP setup. IT was consulted to approve the purchase for the cloud instance. I think this is a wise move, since there will be less worry for everyone about hardware upgrades and systems maintenance.

I personally think that if your library can system administrate your own server it not only makes you less dependent on your institution's IT, but it allows for the site to grow and evolve for newer web technologies.

Best,
Junior

Junior Tidal
Assistant Professor
Web Services and Multimedia Librarian
New York City College of Technology, CUNY
300 Jay Street, Rm A434
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718.260.5481

http://library.citytech.cuny.edu

>>> Brad Coffield <[log in to unmask]> 9/2/2014 11:39 AM >>>
THE QUESTION:

What kind of setup does your library have regarding servers, IT dept
collaboration, CMS restrictions, anything else? I imagine that there are
many unique situations. Any input you're willing to provide will be very
welcome and useful.