We are roughly in the same scenario as Tom (no RFID).

We home-rolled an interface that takes the Item Type, home location, and call number and draws a rectangle based on the range starting call numbers and back-end maintained shelf status. It's not as sophisticated or responsive as Tom's design but seems to solve the same problem.

After pulling up an item in the catalog (e.g.: http://liblink.bsu.edu/catkey/238923), the user can click "Find it: ..." if the item can be found on the shelf (or can be found via a request from the circulation desk, archives, etc.).
Resultant page:
http://www.bsu.edu/libraries/stackLocator/locateMaterials.php?callNumber=PS3561.I4826%2520S7%25201982&itemType=GEN_BOOK&ccLocale=GEN-COLL

If an item is currently checked out, an electronic-type material, or not something that has been mapped no link is displayed.

The maps, Item Types, and beginning call number ranges are all maintained by Access Services staff for the various areas that do shelving and shifting -- and does take some training time.

It's not perfect software, but if you can provide the maps, call number ranges, staff to keep it updated, and create links passing Item Type, home location, and call number then you may be in business!

The software accommodates an East or West wing on a given floor (or single floor view). It allows for multiple Item Types to overlap in the same ranges (i.e. GEN_BOOK and GEN_NON). It allows for shifting areas to appear as "unstable" to the end user before shifting begins.
It enables mapping in sequential rows (front-to-back, front-to-back...) or stacks that wrap around (front-to-front then back-to-back).
Overrides down to individual items is also possible but not encouraged.

1) Stack Locator/Ball State University (custom)
2) Time to implement: unknown. Depends how many customizations you would need to make to accommodate your materials. A week for creating and testing your first area at least.
3) How can you put a cost on something like this? :-) Depends mostly on time your staff commit to it, I would imagine and time commitment is rather hard to say.
4) Hardware / Software was a MySQL server and a webserver that runs PHP. If you want the administrative side to be secure, you'll need to tie the application into your LDAP protocol or build your own user / password management.
5) Located via links out of our discovery tool (there is a search page but who wants to type in call numbers?)
6) Yes; closed stacks items are directed to the circulation area that serves those items. If it was in a non-mappable area, you may want to consider temporarily redirecting them to the front desk for assistance.
7) Having written it, I am biased :-) but I would love for someone else to be able to use it. I think it is great -- albeit in need of an upgrade.

Drop me an email to discuss further.

Victor Replogle
University Libraries...A destination for research, learning, and friends
Library Technologies Support Analyst
University Libraries                765.285.8032
Ball State University              765.285.2008 (fax)
Muncie, IN 47306                   [log in to unmask]
www.bsu.edu/library

The University Libraries provides services that support student pursuits for
academic success and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation and classroom
instruction.