Hello Nicholas,
maybe that it's a bit late but I've found that for this kind of things,
OpenRefine (ex Google refine) works fine if the catalog you want to
query allows passing parameter in the url; You can get the HTML code of
the catalog pages and easily detect if it show a record or not. I've
done it for different projects and found it a good answer to this problem.

You can then replay the scenario with openrefine on a new set of data /
isbn. I don't know if it can be scripted but as shown after the
paragraph starting with "So now we have our cleaned data file" on this
blogpost :
http://blog.ouseful.info/2013/07/26/using-openrefine-to-clean-multiple-documents-in-the-same-way/

Hope this helps.

Sylvain