We're working on this at McGill right now, so I unfortunately don't have anything to point you to. (Current policies are woefully out of date.) But we're doing it basically as you describe – ensuring our retention policies cover both paper and digital, are based on the type of record rather than format, and explicitly authorizing the digitized version to be considered the version of record once it's in a secure system, which means the paper can be destroyed because the digital version meets the requirement laid out in the retention schedule.

We're somehow tied to the Bibliothèque et Archives Nationales du Quebec retention rules as well (it's part of the Canadian/Quebec structure I haven't quite figured out yet), and it's my understanding their retention policies are more modern than ours are currently, so you might find a good model there. It will likely be in French. :-)

Jenn

From: Leslie Johnston <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Wednesday, 17 September, 2014 1:50 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Retention policies for digital surrogates

All,

I am looking for examples of policies/standard operating procedures for the retention of digitized surrogates of archival collections and/or records.

I have had colleagues at other archives say that they cover digital surrogates - whether created through preservation reformatting, researcher requests, or for public access - as having the same retention schedule as the original record.  I have found some digital preservation and digitization policies that address this indirectly, but I am looking for concrete policies.

I've asked this question in a number of venues and gotten no responses.  At this point I'd also be happy to hear about recognized local practices that _aren't_ documented.

Thanks!

Leslie

Leslie Johnston
Director of Digital Preservation
U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)