Hi Eric,

I have created static versions of several WordPress sites. Here's a link to
one of the sites:

http://futureofthebook.org/occurrence/

As you will see, some of the functionality is lost, such as the search and
commenting features. But the content is preserved, and now I don't have to
maintain WordPress for this site (for which its need for interactivity is
long past).

Here is the wget command I used:

wget \
     --recursive \
     --no-clobber \
     --page-requisites \
     --html-extension \
     --convert-links \
     --restrict-file-names=windows \
     --include /occurrence \
     --no-parent \
         http://www.futureofthebook.org/occurrence/ \
     --domains www.futureofthebook.org

I'm not certain that I needed all of these switches, but some of them were
necessary.

After I did the wget, I put the set of files into a new location and then
tested, tested, tested. Some links didn't work properly, and so I had to do
some manual work to get a fully functioning site. Nothing is perfect.

Once I had everything working the way I wanted, I pointed my Web server to
the new location of the site, backed up my WordPress database and files,
and saved everything as a tar file, just in case.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Carol

--