Thanks Mark. Both of these look promising.

Cary, I wasn't trying to tar COD. (That's a nice verb right there :)
My comment about the table of unfair feature comparison was about this
design pattern in general. I probably should have kept my opinions to
myself in this context.

I am little biased against Drupal, which has to do with my own
background: I've never used anything later than Drupal 6!

We're also looking into platforms for building academic communities or
communities in higher ed contexts. The bigwig in this area is CUNY's
Commons in a Box, which is WordPress-powered.

I'm not aware of something as full-featured and actively-maintained,
whether open source or not -- but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hence my gentle instistence on WordPress.

(I was planning to ask about the academic communities as a seperate
question, which I may do anyway, depending on who bites in this thread
and as I wrap up my own research.)

Alex