Hello,

I think that all library jobs are and ought to be techy. If they aren't is because the person's working those jobs aren't practicing modern librarianship.

In think the culture of librarianship is at fault as opposed to the individual librarians.

When it comes to Unix, I'm assuming you are talking about Unix-like systems as well. My reasons would be that information professionals should have an understanding of different systems that allow users to interact with information. The pay walls created by Windows are a hindrance to information professionals, and having knowledge of these systems allows us to not only improve our information practices and workflow but to also teach others how to do so. The speed at which technology moves has to be met with exuberance for learning technology by librarians.

Unix and Unix-like systems also provide open systems for exploring computing.

Unix and Unix-like systems expands the possibilities when using information. There is more of a since that anything is possible when using these systems.

This has to babe peered to the ongoing debate of whether all librarians should know how to code. I think the debate is fruitless. If we shouldn't learn to code, then the word "information" should be taken out of our degrees, our library schools.

This would relegate librarians to a small niche dealing strictly with print material in a hypertext, digital, information society.

What happened to ask the scrolls and clay tablets?

Thanks,

Cornel Darden Jr.
MSLIS
Library Department Chair
South Suburban College
7087052945

"Our Mission is to Serve our Students and the Community through lifelong learning."

Sent from my iPhone