Hello,

Also, ideally, you would make sure the distribution path of the checksum is separate from the data itself. Otherwise, if someone gain unauthorized access to the data, they may also have unauthorized access to the checksum file. It's also unwise to have the checksum in a file header (unless the file itself is encrypted). If this is reverse engineered, the attacker could modify this so that the checksum operation passes.

But the checksum operation gives the answer to a binary question: Is the data the same or different?

You must have additional layers built on top of it to answer questions such as "It was changed with what credentials?" "How did the file change?" "When was it changed?" and so on.

Thanks,

Cornel Darden Jr.
MSLIS
Library Department Chair
South Suburban College
7087052945

"Our Mission is to Serve our Students and the Community through lifelong learning."

Sent from my iPhone