Before launching into a native app, start with the functional requirements to see if what you want to accomplish could be done in a well designed mobile web site, or if you actually need the advanced features that native development would make available.

For example, there is a _lot_ that you can do in jQuery Mobile backed by a strong AJAX backend that looks like a native app, yet does not subject you to the stringent requirements of having to do multi-platform development and worry about submitting to multiple vendors for approval.

There is already some support for media capture for photos/video/sound in HTML5 on some devices that you can use for interactive experiences like snapping a photo, sending it to the server for processing, and having the server send back something relevant.  See http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/getusermedia/intro/ for some information on what is possible currently, and then imagine what you could do with book covers, bar codes, maybe even tapping into the NFC chips in smartphones to tickle those RFID chips everyone is talking about this week.

As a data point, I have seen estimates that put mobile app development costs between $5,000 and $50,000, depending on their complexity, amount of UI/UX design and testing, graphics development, etc, so if you are operating without a budget and are having to scrounge for devices just to test with, a smart mobile web site may be a better starting point anyway.  It’s less of an unknown, using familiar tools, doesn’t require testing hardware, and doesn’t have an onerous vendor approval step to deal with.

--
Andrew Anderson, Director of Development, Library and Information Resources Network, Inc.
http://www.lirn.net/ | http://www.twitter.com/LIRNnotes | http://www.facebook.com/LIRNnotes