You don't say what this app is supposed to do, and that might influence your decision.

If you are going to provide services that are on your website, it likely makes little sense to build apps. Your website looks homegrown, so you might want to consider using your resources to rebuild it in a CMS system, preferably free and open-source, and since you are comfortable with PHP and LAMP, you might consider Drupal or WordPress, both of which offer responsive themes and are supported in the library community.

Cary