It really depends on what you mean by "learn Unix."

I agree with Eric that many tools, particularly open source tools, are more
robust on l
Linux. This is because most of their development communities are building
on Linux, so new features and bug fixes show up their first.

I live in the open source, Linux-based development world, as as a service
and management tool developer, I never use Linux GUIs. I think that folks
who are going to be installing and maintaining services on Linux servers
should become comfortable with the command line tools The will be using.

Commercial Unix systems are dying out except for specialized industries
like banking and airlines. It also hangs on in systems that use the
full-boat Oracle suite, although it may be losing ground there.

The most popular flavor families of Linux — RedHat (Fedora, CentOS, AWS)
and Debian (Ubuntu) — as well as the system that underlies OS X share a
common toolset, which makes it much easier to move from one to another than
it is to move between BSD and System V based proprietary Unix systems.

Cary

--
Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company