It appears that you are bashing Drupal because of your experience with an
old version, and that you want to promote CUNY's WordPress Commons in a
Box. You are drawing a conclusion — perhaps that Wordpress is "better" —
although I am not sure how you get there.

I make a fair chunk of my living working on Drupal projects in the
library/academic/non-profit space, and I am deeply involved with the Drupal
project, but I do not feel that WordPress is "the competition". If I bid
Drupal for a CMS and lose to Wordpress or another FOSS CMS, I see that as a
win. As a true believer in free and open-source software, I see the
competition as the expensive closed source, lock-in systems.

I prefer Drupal to WordPress, because my company builds complex systems
that often integrate with external services, and Drupal provides a much
more robust set of tools for to build on. If someone else has already built
a great system that suits your purpose in WordPress, then the toolset is
not an issue. You can certainly build great tools in WordPress.

--
Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company