Fellow NDSA members,

Just a reminder to register for the Dodging the Memory Hole: Saving Born-digital News Content <http://www.rjionline.org/events/memoryhole> forum November 10-11th here at the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute. The special hotel rates end on October 9th, so now’s the time to sign up. This event is devoted to saving born-digital news content. It’s a follow-on from the 2011 Newspaper Archive Summit at RJI , but this time we’re focusing exclusively on born-digital journalism. On the other hand, we want to broaden our consideration of content that includes broadcast and online formats such as audio, video and HTML.

As you know, there are a variety of threats to news content that was created on a computer or captured on a sensor, including hardware failures, software obsolescence, human-caused and environmental disasters, link rot, bit rot — and the list goes on. With backing from The Mizzou Advantage and RJI, I'm hoping to change this situation, and I need your help to create a national agenda for preserving born-digital news content. Please join other stakeholders this November 10-11th for two days of identifying the best ideas and highest priorities for actively saving endangered news content.

Regist<http://www.rjionline.org/events/memoryhole>ration<http://www.rjionline.org/events/memoryhole> is free, so sign up now for the Dodging the Memory Hole: Saving born-digital News Content forum!

We have an impressive list<http://www.rjionline.org/events/memoryholeattendees> of attendees signed up to attend, including Clifford Lynch from CNI and Katherine Skinner from Educopia Institute, who will be speaking. Space is limited and special hotel rates end soon, so please register<http://www.rjionline.org/events/memoryhole> today.

Thank you,

Edward

PS - Please pass this along to anyone else at your organization or elsewhere who you think may be interested. We especially welcome decision-making journalists!

Edward McCain | Digital Curator of Journalism
Donald W. Reynolds Institute
218 RJI, Missouri School of Journalism
Columbia, MO 65211
w 573.882.8049 | m 573-818-5970