Logging user ID's has a benefit if it's used properly (access tightly
controlled to a select group)

If campus ID's are being used by bots to harvest content, it means that you
have users whose credentials are compromised. Whoever obtained this
information also has access to e-mails, student records, and personal
information. It's a benefit to everyone if this information gets recorded
and reported to campus IT (so the user can have their password reset etc..).

The worst part is, this happens much more then you would expect. I
developed an application (https://github.com/ryersonlibrary/EZ-Analyzer) to
help analyze logs for suspect behavior (it still requires your judgement,
but it helps identify users with very high usage, or show if they are
logging in from different parts of the world)

-Steven

--
Steven Marsden - Library Systems Analyst
Tel: 416-979-5000 x 4635