Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. There are many things I am
going to take a look at here and perhaps this is a good time for me  to
learn some regular expressions.

I also want to respond regarding my desire to clean up the formatting of
the OCR data (line breaks, junk characters, spacing, etc.). In our current
web platform for digital objects I input the OCR text in to a field (either
manually or by batch import). Having clean formatting without line breaks
or extra characters will make the data in that field more portable. This
data may be exported, harvested, and/or eventually migrated. I figured that
getting the extra stuff out now would save some headaches later. Having it
look nice to humans is a plus.

Thanks again! I will share the solution I implement when I get there.

Erica

*Erica Findley*
Cataloging/Metadata Librarian
Multnomah County Library