On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Stuart Yeates <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Do any of these have built-in indexing? 800k records isn't going to fit in
> memory and if building my own MARC indexer is 'relatively straightforward'
> then you're a better coder than I am.

Unless I'm missing something, this task is easier than it sounds. Since you
are interested in only a small part of the record, the memory requirements
are quite modest so you can absolutely fit it all into memory while
processing the file one line at a time. If I understand your problem
correctly, a hash of arrays or objects would make short work of this.

One handy programming reference for people who need syntax for a variety of
commonly used tasks (i.e. practically everything you would normally need)
in more than 30 languages is PLEAC (Programming Language Examples Alike
Cookbook) http://pleac.sourceforge.net/

kyle