On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Owen Stephens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Another option would be a 'code4lib Q&A' site. Becky Yoose set up one for
> Coding/Cataloguing and so can comment on how much effort its been. In terms
> of asking/answering questions the use is clearly low but I think the
> content that is there is (generally) good quality and useful.
>
> I guess the hard part of any project like this is going to be building the
> community around it. The first things that occur to me is how you encourage
> people to ask the question on this new site, rather than via existing
> methods and how do you build enough community activity around housekeeping
> such as noting duplicate questions and merging/closing. The latter might be
> a nice problem to have, but the former is where both the Library / LIS SE
> and the Digital Preservation SE fell down, and libcatcode suffers the same
> problem - just not enough activity to be a go-to destination.

I would add that the Digital Preservation SE has been reinstantiated as
Digital Preservation Q&A <http://qanda.digipres.org/>, which is organized
and supported by the Open Planets Foundation and the National Digital
Stewardship Alliance.

Mark A. Matienzo <[log in to unmask]>
Director of Technology, Digital Public Library of America