It sounds like there are two sorts of things you need to clean up:

a) OCR errors

b) Formatting (like unnecessary line breaks)

For the former, I understand that Adobe Acrobat and ABBYY FineReader
have tools built in to spellchecking.  PrimeOCR, an expensive OCR
package, has a related package called PrimeVerify that does this.

If you don't have any of these, you could simply open the OCR output in
a text editor with spellchecking to look for things to fix.  You could
even copy and paste into Microsoft Word and use its spellchecker; you'd
probably need to correct the source file in parallel to scanning it in Word.

As for formatting, this one is harder.  But instead of trying to solve
that, I wonder if you're sure it's worth doing.  If you're only using
the OCR to drive search of the scanned page images, why does it matter
if there are some unnecessary line breaks in your OCR text?

Kevin