>.. Implementations known to be buggy, broken or dubious especially welcome :)

You could look at those who registered with the Open Archives Initiative.  I haven't visited this list in many years, but when I was working with the providers for our aggregation, they were full of bugs & peculiarities.

http://www.openarchives.org/Register/BrowseSites

You could see who is currently contributing too: http://nsdl.org/browse/collections  These "collections" mostly have OAI providers.

...and shame on anyone who writes their own OAI provider/harvester these days.

-T