From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joshua Welker
Sent: 04 November 2014 14:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Stack Overflow

The concept of a library technology Stack Exchange site as a google-able repository of information sounds great. However, I do have quite a few reservations.

1. Stack Exchange sites seem to naturally lead to gatekeeping, snobbishness, and other troll behaviors. The reputation system built into those sites really go to a lot of folks' heads. High-ranking users seem to take pleasure in shutting down questions as off-topic, redundant, etc.
Argument and one-upmanship are actively promoted--"The previous answer sucks. Here's my better answer! " This  tends to attract certain (often
male) personalities and to repel certain (often female) personalities.
This seems very contrary to the direction the Code4Lib community has tried to move in the last few years of being more inclusive and inviting to women instead of just promoting the stereotypical "IT guy" qualities that dominate most IT-related discussions on the Internet. More here:

http://www.banane.com/2012/06/20/there-are-no-women-on-stackoverflow-or-ar
e-there/
http://michael.richter.name/blogs/why-i-no-longer-contribute-to-stackoverf
low

2. Having a Stack Exchange site might fragment the already quite small and nascent library technology community. This might be an unfounded worry, but it's worth consideration. A lot of Q&A takes place on this listserv, and it would be awkward to try to have all this information in both places. That said, searching StackExchange is much easier than searching a listserv.

3. I echo your concerns about vendors. Libraries have a culture of protecting vendors from criticism. Sure, we do lots of criticism behind closed doors, but nowhere that leaves an online footprint. Often, our contracts include a clause that we have to keep certain kinds of information private. I don't think this is a very positive aspect of librarian culture, but it is there.

I think a year or two ago that there was a pretty long discussion on this listserv about creating a Stack Exchange site.

Josh Welker