Hello,

I like Danielle's idea.  I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to decouple
the metadata from the data permanently.  Exiftool allows you to export the
metadata in lots of different formats like JSON.  You could export the
metadata into JSON, run the checksums and then store the photo and the JSON
file in a single tar-ball. From there you could use a JSON editor to
modify/add metadata.

 It would be simple to reintroduce the metadata into the file when needed.

--
Ronald Houk
Assistant Director