I believe Turnitin and SafeAssign both compare the text of submissions to
against external sources (e.g., SafeAssign uses ABI/INFORM, among others).
I am not certain if they compare submissions against each other.

However, if you're looking for something along the lines of what Dre
suggests, you could use ssdeep, which is an implementation of a piecewise
hashing algorithm [0]. The issue with that you would have to assume that
all students would probably be using the same file format.

You could also using something like Tika to extract the text content from
all the submissions, and then compare them against each other.

[0] http://ssdeep.sourceforge.net/
[1] http://tika.apache.org/

Mark

--
Mark A. Matienzo <[log in to unmask]>
Director of Technology, Digital Public Library of America