Hi,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Dana Jemison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a MARC validation tool (either binary or XML MARC) to
> identify formatting and structural errors in MARC records, which can be
> run in a Unix environment.  Does anyone know of such a tool, or has
> anyone built something like this which they'd be willing to share?

The Perl module MARC::Lint comes with a script called marclint that
can be used to produce a report of errors in MARC21 records.  Here's
an example of the kind of output it produces:

$ marclint /tmp/bad.mrc
The collected works of Jane Doe, book 1
Invalid record length in record 1: Leader says 00176 bytes but it's actually 166
Invalid length in directory for tag 245 in record 1
field does not end in end of field character in tag 245 in record 1
100: Indicator 1 must be 0, 1 or 3 but it's " "
245: Indicator 1 must be 0 or 1 but it's " "
245: Indicator 2 must be 0 thru 9 but it's " "
245: Must end with . (period).
245: Non-filing indicator is non-numeric
245: First word, the, may be an article, check 2nd indicator ( ).

The module can be install from CPAN, of course, and on a Debian or
Ubuntu box, by running apt-get install libmarc-lint-perl.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton