Kyle --

Although my example doesn't apply for all file formats, it does give an
example of what you're looking for:

BWFMetaEdit (
http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/guidelines/digitize-embedding.html)
is free tool developed by Federal Agency groups to allow for the
reading/writing of metadata into the BWF and RIFF (BEXT & INFO
respectively) text chunks of WAV audio files. The salient point here is
that this approach was designed with the ability to generate and embed a
checksum of the PCM audio stream within the WAV container so that as new
metadata are added to the container, the audio can be validated against its
specific checksum, not a checksum of the entire container. In this
practice, one can generate a checksum for the audio information (the
content) and for the entire file itself (the content and the metadata).

Take a read through that and maybe it will inspire some ideas.

I know in the moving image field there is also much activity around frame
by frame checksums for moving image material so that when a file is found
to be corrupt, you can even pinpoint which frame has the corruption.

Best --

Bert

Bertram Lyons, CA
AVPreserve | www.avpreserve.com
American Folklife Center | www.loc.gov/folklife
International Association of Sound and Audiovisual Archives |
www.iasa-web.org