From: "Ethan Gruber" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 11:55:38 AM
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Restrict solr index results based on client IP

There are a few ways to do this, and yes, some version of #2 is desirable.
I think it may depend on how specific these IP addresses are. Do you
anticipate that one IP range may have access to X documents and a different
IP range may have access to Y documents, or will all IP ranges have access
to the same restricted documents (i.e., anyone on campus can access
everything). The former scenario requires IPs to stored in the Solr docs
and the second only requires a boolean field type, e.g. restricted =
yes/no. In fact, in the former scenario, you'd probably want to associate
the IP range with of key of some sort, e.g.

In the schema, have field name="group"

In your doc have the group field contain the value "medical_school". Then
somewhere in your application (not stored and indexed in Solr), you can say
that "medical_school" carries the ranges 192.168,1.*, 192.168.2.*, etc.
That way, if the medical school picks up a new IP range or the range
changes, you can make a minor update to your application without having to
reindex content in Solr.

Ethan