The code used for overlap detection within the arXiv corpus (see [1]
which significantly extended earlier work [2]) does a matching based on
a sliding window of hashed 7-word sequences on extracted ASCII text.
Perhaps more the required for the case in question, but this approach
scales to a corpus of 1M articles. I'm afraid it is a little finicky to
compile on current systems given all the changes in C++ library
organization since I wrote it in 2005/2009. I'm working off-and-on to
tidy it up but haven't got there yet... So, FWIW, code at:

https://github.com/zimeon/docsim

Cheers,
Simeon

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.2716