From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ken Irwin
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] circulation statistics

Eric,

It's not Aleph, but... III's catalog has a "create list" function that lets you create a list of records (bib records, item records, patron records, etc) that meet certain criteria (patrons who live is xxxxx zip code, items in the main stacks with more than 5 checkouts, etc.)

To do what your friend is trying to do, it would help to have some way of flagging the relevant records (popular lit) -- maybe they are the books in a particular location, or maybe he's added a local subject heading, etc -- something that lets him point to a particular subset of the collection. So his process might look something like:
* find all the books that match:
 - published since 1980
 - location = popular fiction collection
 - total circ > 2
* and then export selected fields:
 - author
 - title
 - publisher
 - year
 - total circs
 - total renews

Or something like that.
This is exactly the kind of search and extraction that I designed my Weeding Helper tool to work with -- only there I'm looking at *un*-popular materials:
https://github.com/kenirwin/Weeding-Helper
Demo: http://www6.wittenberg.edu/lib/iii/weed/demo/view.php?table=art_orders
It takes that sort of search-and-export data from the catalog and makes it sortable and subject to note-taking so you can take a computer or tablet up to the stacks and weed a range of books and have their circ history in front of you.

Ken