John,

At Stanford, this is governed by the Research Policy Handbook; there is some tech transfer and copyright detail, but essentially it says staff may release University-funded code with with an open source license with officer (Dean-level) approval.

At Stanford, we have put this into place with blanket approval for releasing any code we deem shareable under a license (Apache 2 being default, but not required). We have similar approval under the same terms to release non-code artifacts under a CC license.

Based on this, we have templates for inserting license files into repos on Github, and default text to use for copyright statements.

I can dig up source docs if that's useful.

- Tom